You may have heard “Delta 8” suddenly being talked about more and more frequently. Perhaps you’ve seen signs or advertisements. Delta 8 has recently become popular due it’s potential therapeutic benefits, similar to CBD, without the unwanted side effects or symptoms that may arise from using regular THC . Using traditional marijuana may not always be feasible for those looking for the therapeutic benefits without impacting their productivity.
In this article, we’ll provide you with an overview of all things related to Delta 8, including how to get started, methods to consume delta 8, starting dosages, and other important information relating to Delta 8. Keep reading to learn more!
What is Delta 8?
Delta 8 THC, also known as Delta 8 tetrahydrocannabinol, is a chemical that is found within cannabis and hemp plants. There are over 100 known cannabinoids that are naturally found within these plants. Its chemical structure is quite similar to its “cousin”, Delta-9 THC, which is the commonly known substance within marijuana that produces a “high” feeling. Unlike marijuana itself, Delta 8 is legal in most states.
What feelings does Delta 8 Produce?
Though Delta 8 is found to have some mild psychoactive effects, they are considered mild when compared to traditional Delta-9 THC. Many people describe Delta 8 as feeling more clear-headed and productive when compared to traditional THC. You can expect some feelings to occur, which may include things like feeling mellowed out or relaxed, increased energy levels that help you remain productive, or a feeling of weightlessness.
How can Delta 8 Help?
Delta 8 has increased in popularity recently due to its many potential benefits. Though these are still being researched, the potential benefits are quite promising. It is important to note that more research is still needed in the realm of Delta 8 products. Delta 8 may help with the following symptoms or conditions:
- Reducing Nausea- This is referred to as “antiemetic”, which is the medical term for things that help reduce nausea. This can be helpful for patients with medical conditions that cause nausea, such as cancer treatments.
- Stimulate Appetite- For those who struggle with medical conditions that impact feelings of hunger, Delta 8 may be useful to help stimulate appetite. Small doses have been found to have powerful effects which could be helpful in the management of weight disorders in humans.
- Potential to Relieve Pain- Some researchers have observed that Delta 8 may have the ability to impact certain types of pain, such as pain from neuropathic or inflammatory conditions. One study conducted in 2018 looked at the effects of Delta 8 in mice. They found promising evidence that it may help reduce pain and inflammation in the body by activating the endocannabinoid system.
- Anxiety- Due to Delta 8’s ability to bind to the CB1 receptors in your body, Delta 8 may be useful in helping manage symptoms of anxiety. Some research has suggested it may also bind to CB2 receptors in the body, which helps convince your body to better regulate feelings of anxiousness.
- Neuroprotective Benefits- This means that delta 8 might be able to help people produce more of something known as Acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that helps memory, cognition, and other brain functions.
Delta 8 Doses
As with any new product you introduce, starting with a low dose is recommended. By starting with a low dose, you are able to monitor the feelings you experience and adapt accordingly. If you’re not seeking the feelings of an intense high, taking Delta 8 in low amounts is generally recommended. Every person will react differently to different doses, so it is important to perform trial and error to determine the dosage best suited for you.
Delta 8 is about 50 to 70 % as potent as Delta-9 or traditional THC. Your optimal dosage will depend on the strength of the product you’re using and the strength of Delta 8 THC per milligram. In general, a good rule of thumb to follow is products with 5 to 15 mg per serving are considered low tolerance, 15 to 45 mg is medium tolerance, and 45 to 150 mg per serving are generally high tolerance.
Methods to Consume Delta 8
There are a variety of different methods by which people consume Delta 8. Methods that entail the consumption of Delta 8 may produce stronger effects than methods that include inhalation. The method of consumption will also impact how long it takes to feel the desired effect. In general, when vaped, you may experience the effects within 10 to 20 minutes. When taking tinctures, it may take up to 1.5 hours, while edibles may take anywhere up to 2 hours to feel the optimal effects.
Some consumption methods include edibles such as gummies and tinctures. Edible gummies not only taste good but can help produce the desired effects. Tinctures are also a popular way to consume Delta 8 since it’s quick and easy to take a few small drops under your tongue. Your body’s sublingual cells on your tongue will quickly absorb the product to produce desired effects.
Other factors may impact your dosing as well, such as your body weight, overall tolerance, and the goals you’re looking to achieve by consuming Delta 8. Those with higher body mass indexes may need higher doses to achieve optimal results. In addition, frequent smokers or long-term users may have a high tolerance built up which will impact their dosing requirements. Be sure to research the dosing specification that are specific to the method of consumption of Delta 8 you seek to use.